Updated: Aug 7, 2019
So, you’ve decided to blog? Congratulations!
Something that kept me from starting my blog for quite some time was not being able to settle on a name. It had to be meaningful, clever & relate-able. No pressure. Barefoot developed a deeper meaning when I got in touch with the power of showing up as my authentic self. Your “bare” self – if you will and that’s what my blog is all about. I’m baring my soul throughout this entire process.
I went through many names including Kidscraftandchitchat, barefootbrinlie, Libra Diaries and so many others that I don’t even remember (because they didn’t resonate).
I mean how in the world do you name a blog that you want to post photos of my kids, share your entrepreneurial ways, toss in some astrology, touch on my relationships, health & fitness and the occasional cuss word ?! Like a true Libra I could not decide. That is why I have created this JUST. FOR. YOU.
5 Tips for naming a blog
1. Decide whether you’re going to use your name as your blog or come up with a unique name that pertains to your blog. There are benefits to both. You can’t really go wrong here as long as it feels good to you & relates to your content.
2. Given that you have decided against naming your blog after your own name – welcome to #2.
Decide what you want to write about. What are you passionate about?
This should be something that you genuinely enjoy talking about. After all, a blog is just a really long conversation. Typically, it is best to choose a single topic that you’d like to stick to such a “parenting” “Fashion” “DIY”, but this isn’t a make it or break it deal. You Niche' should be broad enough that you can expand on it 100+ times, but not so broad that your readers don't know what to expect.
If you don’t enjoy talking about animals – you may not want to start a blog about animals. Easy as that.
3. Be unique, but keep is simple. You want people to be able to remember what you told them the name of your blog was. You want people to be able to spell this easily. You want people to be able to pronounce it. “SkYrid3r” – may not be the best blog name for a travelers blog.
4. Check if the domain is available. IF you’re wanting to make money blogging than you’re going to want to set it up through a self hosted site. I use Go Daddy. You can even take it a step further & make sure your name is available across all social media sites by clicking here.
If you’re blogging to simply keep an online diary, not make money & don’t mind having “.blogspot” at the end of your URL, then there is no need to overthink this step.
5. Look at similar blogs. Not to steal their names or even to play off of their names, but to spark some creativity. Sometimes that is all we need.
And your bonus step is to JUST START WRITING. You’ve got this. If you've already started blogging I would love to check it out. Post your site in the comments section. <3 xoxo barefootbrinlie